Mashed potatoes have always been one of my favorite foods. They are the ultimate comfort – creamy, hearty, warming. But, also, carb heavy, which not everyone is into. We’re not big on diets, but when we feel our pants getting tight we try to eat in a slightly more “slow carb” fashion which is, thankfully, very bean-friendly. And so the white bean obsession continues. This recipe is super easy, immensely healthy, and hits the spot when you’re craving mashed potatoes but want a little more nutrition than they offer.
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), cut into florets
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can white beans (cannellini or great white northern), drained and rinsed
- 1 (5.2-ounce) package Boursin cheese (regular or garlic/herb)
- ½ tsp. salt
- Put the broth in a medium to large pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the cauliflower and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain, reserving the broth.
- Mash together the cauliflower, white beans, and cheese (if using).
- Add ½ cup of the reserved broth and the salt and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Add more broth if necessary to loosen it up more. Taste and add more salt if you like.
Can be made vegan and parve by omitting the cheese (it's still delicious!)