Skinny Penne a la VodkaPosted on Apr 16, 2012 | 45 comments
Although you can easily buy a jar of "vodka sauce," it's so easy to make that it's silly not to. But the vodka and cream add up and after weeks of indulging I'm trying to lighten up my dishes a bit for the warmer weather. So I've replaced the calorie-laden heavy cream with nonfat Greek yogurt - is there anything that magical ingredient can't make better? There's still a splash of vodka and plenty of Parmesan cheese, so I'm not going to go so far as to say this dish is healthy, but it's a step in the right direction. Whole wheat pasta might help your case.
Skinny Penne a la Vodka
Subbing heavy cream for fat free Greek yogurt helps to lighten up this delicious pasta dish without sacrificing flavor or creaminess.
Author: Katherine Martinelli
Recipe Type: Entree
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 pound penne
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (35-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup vodka
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ cup yogurt
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute, 5 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, vodka, and red pepper flakes, if using. Simmer, uncovered, until reduced by half.
- Stir in the yogurt and parmesan cheese. To make it extra smooth, blend it with an immersion blender here (optional). Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the penne and toss to coat. Remove from the heat and serve immediately, with additional parmesan.
Kosher dairy, Vegetarian