While I don’t care much about football, I do love all the snacks that go with it. And this Buffalo black bean dip is my new obsession. It takes all of 15 minutes to make, is vegetarian and gluten free, and scratches my Buffalo wing itch without all the calories. In fact, if you eat the dip with veggies it’s about as healthy as game day food gets, and yet feels just as indulgent.To make black bean dip Buffalo flavored I just – wait for it – added Buffalo sauce! A mixture of Franks Red Hot (no other brand of hot sauce has the same effect) and butter, it takes about two seconds to make. Use more or less for a more or less pronounced Buffalo flavor, and I recommend using the extra spicy version if you like more of a kick. Although buffalo sauce has butter, if you want to make a vegan or parve dip I think you could just add the Franks Red Hot and still have a sufficiently Buffalo-flavored dip.
- Â¼ cup Franks Red Hot
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (16-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (optional)
- Â½ medium red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- Â¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- To make the Buffalo sauce, put the Franks Red Hot and butter in a small pot over medium heat and stir until the butter is melted and the sauce is fully combined. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Put the black beans, vinegar, onion, garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until it is a fairly smooth dip. Season with salt and pepper and additional Franks Red Hot, if you want more spice.
To make parve and vegan, omit the butter and add the hot sauce without heating.
Check out last year’s Game Day Blog hop for even more game day inspiration!
If the blog hop doesn’t show up below, click here to view the collection and add your own links.