Tofu Tacos and a Tofu Blog HopPosted on Jan 13, 2012 | 51 comments
These flavorful tofu tacos are sure to appeal to even the most stalwart meat eaters. Plus they are parve, vegan, and vegetarian and so are suitable for a number of diets!
Author: Katherine Martinelli
Recipe Type: Entree
Yield: Makes 12 tacos
- ½ teaspoon chile powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried coriander
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 package firm tofu
- 12 small tortillas of your choice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- ½ cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- Chopped chives (optional, for garnish)
- Chopped cilantro (optional, for garnish)
- Sour cream (optional, for garnish)
- Sliced avocado (optional, for garnish)
- Shredded cheese (optional, for garnish)
- Put the chile powder, cumin, coriander, and lime juice in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the tofu and mash with a fork until the tofu is crumbled and fully coated. Allow to marinate while you prepare the tacos.
- Wrap the tortillas in tin foil and put in a 200F oven to gently heat while preparing the beans.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, 3 minutes or until the onion has softened (do not burn the garlic).
- Add the marinated tofu, black beans, and corn and cook until heated through and thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Remove the tortillas from the oven.
- At this point you can either assemble and serve the tacos, or let everyone make their own. To assemble, spoon some tofu into a tortilla and top with the black bean mixture and any toppings you like. Chopped chives, chopped cilantro, sour cream, avocado, and shredded cheese all make nice toppings.
Gluten free with GF tortillas Parve and Vegan (without sour cream and cheese on top, or with a dairy-free alternative) Vegetarian