Classic Daiquiri for #SundaySupperPosted on Jul 15, 2012 | 32 comments
The theme of this week’s #SundaySupper is Beat the Heat – and I don’t know about you, but when I think about cooling off in summer a cold, refreshing cocktail is one of the first things that comes to mind. This classic daiquiri recipe fits the bill. With only three ingredients (rum, lime juice, and simple syrup) it’s clean and fresh, and oh so simple to make.
If you’re looking for a sugary, frozen, flavored concoction then this is not the drink for you. This is a daiquiri in its purest form, favored by luminaries like Hemingway. It is believed to have been concocted in the late 19th century in a Cuban mining town.. According to Rob Chirico on Chow.com, “Although the locals had probably been knocking back rum and lime for years, in 1886 an American engineer, James Cox, and a Cuban engineer named Pagliuchi refined the rum and lime drink by adding cane sugar. When Admiral Lucius Johnson introduced the recipe to the Army Navy Club in DC, in 1909, the daiquiri was becoming one of the world’s most popular drinks.”
The drink has a touch of sweetness from the simple syrup, and you can certainly add more to suit your taste. The bright, lightly astringent flavor of the lime juice shines through while not hiding the rum (so be sure to use good quality rum). Don’t even think about using bottled lime juice in this cocktail – you’d be better off mixing rum and bottled limeade and calling it a day. The fresh lime juice is essential here and adds only an extra minute of prep time.
There aren’t too many variations on the recipe for a classic daiquiri except for when it comes to measurements. Most call for 1 1/2 to 2 ounces rum, 1/2 to 1 ounce fresh lime juice, and 1 teaspoon to 1/2 ounce simple syrup. I like mine with strong, with plenty of lime juice, and just enough simple sugar to make it go down smooth. You can start with these measurements and play around until you get a cocktail that’s perfectly suited for your taste. For some awesome notes and background on the classic daiquiri, head over to Kitchen Riffs for another recipe and some great information.
- 2 ounces white rum
- 1 ounces fresh lime juice
- ½ ounce simple syrup
- Put ingredients in a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake vigorously.
- Strain into a cocktail glass and serve.
Thanks to Juanita’s Cocina for hosting this week!
See what everyone else is cooking up for this week’s #SundaySupper!
- Refreshing Chunky Shrimp Salsa ~ The Weekend Gourmet
- Totally Cool Green Hummus ~ My Kitchen and I
- Smoked Whitefish Salad Bagel Bites ~ Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Watermelon and Goat Cheese Bites ~ Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Strawberry Gazpacho ~ Diabetic Foodie
- Grilled Loaded Baked Potato Skins ~ In the Kitchen with KP
- Sweet & Tangy Chili Lime Fruit Salad ~ Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
#BeatTheHeat Salads, Soups, & Sides:
- Cool Cucumber Salad ~ Momma’s Meals
- Lemony Garbanzo Kale Salad with Tuna ~ Shockingly Delicious
- Hungarian Cucumber Salad Recipe – Uborkasaláta Recept ~ The Watering Mouth
- Tomato Salad with Macadamia Cheese ~ Cooking’s Good Vegetarian Cafe
- Char-Grilled Corn Salad ~ The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Summertime Sweet Pea Salad ~ Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- Apple and Poppy Seed Coleslaw ~ Damn Delicious
- Cold Cucumber and Rice Salad ~ Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Chilly Dilly Cucumber Soup with Shrimp ~ Comfy Cuisine
- Mom’s Creamy Pea Salad ~ Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Greek (Yogurt) Potato Salad ~ Family Foodie
#BeatTheHeat Main Dishes:
- Rainbow Slaw with Steak and Chipotle Crema ~ Cooking By The Seat of our Pants
- Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken ~ Make Dinner Easy
- Rolling with Kimbap ~ Kimchi Mom
- Ranch Chicken Tacos ~ Pippi’s In The Kitchen Again
- Serrano Ham, Mozzarella and Arugula Sandwiches ~ Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork ~ Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- No Bake Pizza ~ The Meltaways
- Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream ~ Supper for a Steal
- No-Cook Egg-Free Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream ~ Chocolate Moosey
- Peach Sorbet ~ Magnolia Days
- Icebox Chocolate Pie ~ Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Honey and Elderflower Ice Cream ~ Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Blackberry Lavender Popsicles ~ Girlichef
- Frozen Chocolate Bananas ~ In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Strawberry-Lime Margarita Ice Cream ~ Cookistry
- Elegant Fruit Jellies ~ Happy Baking Days
- Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches ~ That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream ~ Baker Street
- Vanilla Peach Swirl Frozen Yogurt ~ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Espresso and Toasted Almond Semifreddo ~ The Messy Baker
- Mango Ice Cream ~ Queen’s Notebook
- Raspberry Mousse ~ Basic and Delicious
- White Apricot & Honeysuckle Sorbet ~ Family Spice
- Biscoff Ice Cream Cupcakes ~ Juanita’s Cocina
#BeatTheHeat Drinks & Cocktails:
- Shirley Temple ~ Cravings of a Lunatic
- Prickly Pear White Wine Spritzer ~ Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Classic Daquiri ~ Katherine Martinelli
- Salty Lassi ~ Soni’s Food for Thought
- Blueberry Mint Lemonade ~ Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet Basil & Cucumber Melon Smoothie ~ Daily Dish Recipes
Wine Pairings Provided By: ENOFYLZ
What a list! A great resource for summer cooking. Join the Sunday Supperconversation today (July 15th) on twitter for more beat the heat inspiration. There will be a live chat 3:00 to 4:00pm Eastern Time. Use the #SundaySupper hashtag and tweet your own recipes and food photos. Follow the Pinterest board too.