Chocolate Covered Strawberries and a Valentine’s Day Blog Hop
Posted on Feb 10, 2012 | 77 comments
It's that time of year. If I were in the States right now I'm sure I would be inundated with chocolates packaged in red hearts, balloons shaped like hearts, and stuffed animals holding hearts. I am not against anything that celebrates love, but I do think people get a little carried away on Valentine's Day. My husband and I have never once celebrated it. Rather than acknowledging our love on a random day that Hallmark has chosen with millions of other couples, we opt to love and appreciate each other every day and have an especially nice meal on our anniversary. In high school and college my girlfriends and I (even when we had boyfriends) would go out for a nice Valentine's Day dinner. Now that's my idea of V-Day.
So, although I don't celebrate Valentine's Day in the traditional romantic sense, I like to use it as a day to show appreciation for my friends and family. And I can't resist all the wonderful treats that pop up this time of year. Are you sick of chocolate covered strawberries yet? I don't think I could ever be. They feel so special but are so easy to make at home! And they involve my favorite combination: fruit and chocolate. Check out Just One Cookbook's version
with white chocolate and a pretty milk chocolate drizzle! (BTW I have to apologize - these are not my best photos...)
If I were to serve a romantic Valentine's Day dinner, then I would certainly start with my favorite cocktail - the Negroni
- which is appropriately red from the bitter Campari. I'd serve it with my Raclette Fondue
because, well, nothing says V-day quite like fondue. The main would have to be Tagliatelle with Shrimp and Champagne Butter Sauce
accompanied by - what else? - flutes of Champagne. And we would finish up the meal with my Spiced Chocolate Pots de Creme with Candied Bacon and Maple Whipped Cream
. Oh, and of course these chocolate covered strawberries. Hmmm I may have to celebrate Valentine's Day just to have that meal!
What will you be making this Valentine's Day? I can't wait to see what you have to link up in the blog hop below!
Linked up at Jennifer Cooks' Fusion Fridays
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Author: Katherine Martinelli
Recipe Type: Dessert
- 4 ounces dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 strawberries, washed and thoroughly dried
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Gently melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave or in a small pot over low heat, stirring often. Remove from the heat.
- Hold a strawberry by its stem and dip the fruit in the melted chocolate so it is coated almost to the stem (you can also skewer it with a toothpick if that helps).
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and continue with the remaining strawberries.
- Put the baking sheet in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or until the chocolate has hardened.
Gluten free, Kosher dairy, Vegetarian