We are in the midst of the most insanely gorgeous mango season in Israel right now. I’m talking gigantic, juicy mangoes that are the sweetest, most delicious I’ve ever tasted. Which is why I was so excited to find this recipe for Mexican Mango Chicken on Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller. I actually got to test and photograph this recipe for their Best Chicken Recipe Contest as a guest blogger (that’s my photo on the site!).
This recipe has only a few ingredients but packs in serious flavor. I love the unusual but stellar combination of mango and basil and how easily this dish comes together. The recipe requires first marinating the mango, then the chicken and cooking them separately, and the marinade is the only thing that takes time here. Since the chicken is pounded thin, cooking it should take less than 10 minutes. Next time I would add more cayenne since I really like spicy-sweet combos, but adjust the seasoning to suit your tastes. I served this with coconut rice, which only added to the tropical feel and comes together in the same amount of time as normal rice.
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to suit your tastes)
- 2 mangoes, peeled and cut into strips
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 1½ cups Jasmine or Basmati rice
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- In a large bowl, mix the oil, lime juice, basil, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- Place the mango slices and pit in the marinade for 15 minutes.
- Remove the mango slices but leave the pit to continue to flavor the marinade. Refrigerate the slices.
- Place the chicken in the marinade and refrigerate for 1 to 4 hours.
- Heat a large saute pan (or grill). Cook the chicken, careful not to crowd the pan. Remove from the pan and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the mangoes to the pan and cook until heated through.
- Lay a few strips of mango in the center of a chicken breast and gently roll up, placing seam side down. Secure with toothpicks if necessary. Repeat with remaining mango and chicken.
- Alternately, simply serve each chicken breast topped with mango slices.
- Serve with coconut rice
- While the chicken is marinating, prepare the rice. Put the rice, coconut milk, and broth in a small pot. Bring to a simmer, cover, and lower the heat.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from the heat and allow to rest, covered, for 5 minutes before serving. Fluff with a fork.
Submitted to the Tastetastic Thursdays Linky Party over at A Little Nosh and Jane Deere’s Fusion Fridays