Guacamole and a Dip Blog HopPosted on Dec 16, 2011 | 52 comments
With the holiday season upon us, parties are in full swing. Whether you are hosting or attending, we can all use more quick and easy recipes for our entertaining repertoire. Enter the mighty dip. They can typically be made ahead and offer a range of accompaniments from chips to crackers, and from vegetables to fruit slices (as in this wonderful recipe). One of my favorites is guacamole. A simple recipe, I know and I’m sure you have your own. I like mine zesty and garlicky. Guacamole has the added bonus of being naturally parve, gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan (if you are gf of course the issue is what to dip in the guac).
Israel doesn’t have the best avocados but recently I struck gold with a bag of perfectly ripe ones, so I had to make my favorite dip. Look for avocados that are dark green and yield slightly to pressure. You want them soft, but not too soft. Once the guacamole is made I always use my mom’s trick of leaving the pit in the middle, which helps prevent the guacamole from browning. Although guacamole is best enjoyed the same day, it can be covered and refrigerated overnight. It will brown slightly, but just mix it up and it will be good as new.
For some of my other dip ideas check out smoky salsa to go with this guacamole, authentic hummus, vibrant beet, chickpea, and almond dip, and a whole array of spreads in this post on Israeli Mezze. And for this week’s blog hop, I want to see your favorite dips and spreads! The possibilities are endless and I can’t wait to be inspired.
- 5 small Hass avocados
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Peel, pit, and chop the avocados and put them in a large bowl with the garlic.
- Mash with a potato masher, mortar and pestle, fork, or the back of a wooden spoon until desired consistency is reached (I like mine slightly chunky).
- Add the onion, cilantro, and lime juice and season with salt. Stir to combine.
- Taste and season as needed.
- Serve with tortilla chips.