It’s been a few months since I have participated in The Secret Recipe Club, and it’s good to be back! This month I was thrilled to be assigned Lesa’s blog, Edesia’s Notebook. Lesa, who started her blog in 2007, is a stay at home mom of two seriously adorable girls, and promises simple meals fit for weeknights. So many of her enticing recipes caught my eye, from the summer vegetable frittata (you know how I feel about those) to the homemade chipotle ketchup (which would be perfect with these). And then there was this mango barbecue sauce, which would be the perfect fix for my current mango addiction. But it was the zucchini that eventually won out. I was between herÂ baked zucchini fries, chicken zucchini burgers, and Â the one pot summer squash, beef, and rice skillet. I guess you know which one I eventually chose.
And what a good choice it was! Seriously I could eat these every day and be happy. Edesia’s recipe is simple and so doable, and I made just a few minor changes. I added 1/2 cup grated Parmesan because, well, Parmesan makes everything better. I’m sure they’re amazing without the cheese, but with it they are downright addictive. I also used a little seltzer in the egg batter, which is a trick I use to make any kind of breading a little lighter. Seriously, try it next time you make tempura or fish and chips! I loved the little kick that the fries got from the hot paprika, and was impressed with how crispy they got in the oven. My husband and I gobbled them up in about three minutes flat.
These zucchini fries are fast and easy to make and are super kid friendly. Plus, they’re way healthier than regular French fries! Thanks Lesa for the recipe inspiration!
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons hot paprika
- 2-3 medium zucchini, cut into thick thick matchsticks
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons seltzer
- Vegetable or olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease a baking sheet with cooking spray or oil.
- Put panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan, salt and paprika in a shallow bowl and mix to combine.
- In a separate shallow bowl, whisk eggs with seltzer.
- Dip each zucchini piece in egg then breadcrumb mixture and put on prepared baking sheet.
- Lightly spray the tops of the zucchini fries with the cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until crispy on all sides.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
Get more information about the Secret Recipe Club and how to joinÂ HEREÂ >>