Halibut with Zucchini en Papillote and a Fish Blog HopPosted on Jan 20, 2012 | 52 comments
If your new year’s resolution had anything to do with a healthier diet, then this simple, elegant dish is a good place to start. I absolutely adore halibut for its delicate, clean flavor and firm texture. And its nutritional benefits are through the roof – super low in fat and calories, halibut is an excellent source of protein, omega-3 fatty acids, magnesium, vitamin b12, and more. Cooking en papillote – or in a parchment paper bundle – is a great way to seal in these nutrients without introducing a lot of extra fats to your meal. You simply put whatever you’d like to cook, along with a bit of liquid and flavor if you like, into a pack made of parchment, seal it, and bake. The result is a healthy meal that is more flavorful than simply steaming but just as healthy.
Not only is this dish incredibly healthy, it’s also beautiful. It makes for a fun presentation that is especially enjoyable when entertaining. Each guest gets his or her own packet, a little surprise on their plate. When everyone opens them at the same time the result is quite dramatic as each guest gets a whiff of and first glance at the contents. Plus, it require very little clean up since everything is contained within the parchment paper. How easy is that?
For this dish, I sautéed onion, zucchini, and garlic to use as the structural and flavor base of the dish. After spooning this aromatic mixture onto the parchment I added the halibut, which I seasoned and topped with lemon slices. A bit of white wine provided steaming liquid plus additional flavor. It is then baked for a mere 8 to 10 minutes and voila, a healthy gourmet meal is on your table!
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, cut into large dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound halibut filet, cut into 4 even pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 thin slices lemon
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet. Add the onion, zucchini, and garlic and sauté until softened. Remove from the heat.
- Cut 4 pieces of parchment into squares or rectangles twice as big as the pieces of fish. Fold in half and cut out a half heart shape (like you did on Valentine’s day as a kid so when it unfolds it’s shaped like a heart). Lay the parchment on a baking sheet.
- Unfold one parchment heart and spoon ¼ of the zucchini mixture into the center.
- Place a piece of halibut on top and season with salt and pepper.
- Top with 2 lemon slices.
- Fold over the edges of the parchment little by little, leaving a small opening. Pour in 1 tablespoon of the wine and fold over to seal.
- Repeat with remaining parchment and fish.
- Put in the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the packets to plates and serve immediately.
This recipe has been linked up at Jane Deere’s Fusion Fridays