Guys, it’s been a long week. The stress of the most recent Israel-Gaza conflict, which went on for eight loud days and sleepless days, was starting to get to me. The uncertainty – and intractability – of the situation was exhausting. But as of Wednesday night, just in time for Thanksgiving, they reached a ceasefire. For that I am beyond thankful. And while I probably won’t have any Thanksgiving leftovers to eat, I came up with this delicious cranberry sauce upside down cake for those of you who will have a few extra cans lying around.
This year, like every year, I have much to be thankful for. At the moment, though, it feels particularly poignant. I’m thankful, if a bit weary, of the current peace between Israel and Gaza and hope that a more long-term solution can be devised. I’m thankful for a break from the wailing of the air raid sirens in Israel, and an end to the current round of destruction in Gaza. I’m thankful for my husband, who I love more than anything in the world. I’m thankful for my family who managed to keep their cool over the last week despite the fact that their daughter was in a war zone, and for my in-laws who have always loved me like their own. I’m thankful to all the people across Israel – both good friends and mere acquaintances – who offered their homes should we want to escape the persistent rocket fire in the south. I’m thankful for our health and safety – and I mean that in a very real way. I’m thankful for my friends, who are just about the most impressive, strong, incredible, supportive women you could imagine.
But enough about all of that. Back to our regularly scheduled programming. I hope everyone had an amazing Thanksgiving, and is busy chowing down on Thanksgiving leftovers that are even better the next day. Let’s be honest – Thanksgiving is great, but it’s those leftovers that keep on giving. This cake is delicious for dessert, afternoon tea, or, yes, even breakfast. Make it with leftover cranberry sauce, whether fresh or canned.
- 1½ cups sugar, divided
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ cups whole berry cranberry sauce (homemade or from a 14-oz can)
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease a 9½-inch round springform pan on all sides.
- Combine ½ cup sugar and the cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle over the bottom of the greased pan, tapping on the counter to distribute it.
- Carefully pour the cranberry sauce over the sugar, pressing it down and making sure it covers the entire bottom.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs and remaining 1 cup sugar until well combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, vegetable oil, vanilla and salt and mix well.
- Pour over the cranberry sauce-lined cake pan. Put the cake pan on a rimmed baking sheet and put in the oven. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Invert onto a plate or cake stand, release the sides of the springform pan, and carefully remove the bottom (now at the top). Allow to cool for another 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
If for any reason the blog hop linky isn’t showing up below, click HERE to submit your links and I’ll fix it all later 🙂 Have a great weekend!