Buttered String Beans and a Julia Child Blog HopPosted on Aug 10, 2012 | 27 comments
Buttered String Beans (Hericots Verts a la Maitre d'Hotel)
Who would think that string beans tossed with butter, lemon juice and parsley would be so delicious? This is the perfect side: flavorful, vegetarian, and fast!
Author: Adapted from Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Vol. 1
Recipe Type: Side
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 pound string beans or haricots verts, trimmed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Blanch the string beans: Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the string beans. Cook for 2 to 5 minutes, until just tender but still a bit crispy (Julia says: "A well cooked bean should be tender, but still retain the slightest suggestion of crunchiness."). Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Add the string beans to a wide saucepan and toss over high heat to evaporate the moisture.
- Season with salt and pepper and add ½ tablespoon butter and toss.
- Alternate adding the rest of the butter and the lemon juice gradually while tossing.
- Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve immediately.
Gluten free, Kosher dairy, Vegetarian