Healthy Baked Chicken Recipe with Flax SeedsPosted on Jun 13, 2012 | 24 comments
This is one of those rare recipes that are easy, delicious, quick, and healthy. I know! I’ve been obsessed with protein-rich flax seeds lately, which I typically put in my oatmeal, yogurt, or smoothies in the morning. I got to thinking about how to incorporate it into my dinners and came up with this simple breaded, baked chicken breast. I used a mixture of bread crumbs and ground flax seeds so it wouldn’t be too heavy, and the result was just perfect, and somewhat akin to pecan-crusted chicken in texture.
The chicken is baked with no additional oil, so it’s really about as lean and protein-packed as you can get. I also find that flax seeds are incredible filling, so I ate less. Which left more chicken leftover to eat in salads – it’s great cold! You could also use chicken tenders and serve these to kids as a healthier rendition of chicken fingers.
- ¾ cups bread crumbs
- 6 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- Salt and pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2½ pounds (1.3 kilos) chicken breast
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Put the bread crumbs and flax seeds in a shallow bowl and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Dip each chicken breast in egg, then in the bread crumb mixture, coating thoroughly. Transfer to a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then turn the chicken breasts.
- Bake for another 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and serve with lemon wedges (also great cold!).
On another note, I’m headed home to New York for the summer so will be sporadic at best when it comes to communicating over the next few days. Thanks so much for stopping by!