It’s that time of the month again! No, not that time. Secret Recipe Club time! Hosted by Amanda over at Amandaâ€™s Cookinâ€™ itâ€™s a great way for bloggers to meet, share, and make each othersâ€™ recipes. Every month each participant is assigned another blog and we can make any recipe from that blog. Then, all at once, we reveal our posts! Yup, it’s as fun as it sounds. Who doesnâ€™t like being in a secret club? In June I made some excellent Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins from Connorâ€™s Cooking and in July I made Darn Near Domestic‘s awesome Smoky Salsa. I took a hiatus in August and am excited to be back because this month I was introduced to another fabulous blog – Once a Month Mom.
Once a Month Mom is an great blog put together by a talented group of women. Don’t let the title fool you – this blog is an incredible resource whether you’re a mom or not. It’s based on the concept of planning out meals for the month (AKA once a month cooking, freezer cooking, bulk cooking, and power cooking). They offer great recipes and tips that are helpful for just about anyone.
For this month’s Secret Recipe Club I chose Kelly’s Cilantro Lime Chicken. Cilantro and lime make for one of my favorite flavor combinations and right now is prime lime season in Israel (that’s right, we can’t get limes year round!). I made a few changes to the recipe, namely I added lime zest and more garlic to the marinade and pan-fried the chicken instead of grilling. They offer instructions (which I left below) should you want to create a “freezer meal” but I couldn’t wait that long and allowed it to marinate for about six hours.
This recipe is officially entering my frequent rotation. It was SO good! It was packed with delicious flavor and would complement any number of meals. I served it with black beans, sour cream, and tomatoes on a tortilla for dinner. The next day I sliced up the leftover chicken and added it to a salad. I also considered serving it with coconut rice. I seriously plan on making this again this week and always having it in my freezer to have on hand. It was that good.
- 2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 2 medium limes (about Â¼ cup)
- Zest of 1 medium lime
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Mix together the olive oil, lime juice and zest, garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add chicken and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Put in the fridge and allow to marinate at least one hour, or overnight. (Or, for a great freezer meal put the marinade and chicken in a freezer bag and put in the freezer until ready to use. To use thaw and cook as normal.)
- Heat grill or grill pan (or, sadly like me, just a regular pan) over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, working in batches if necessary (don't crowd the pan). Cook for about 6 minutes on each side depending on thickness, or until done.