Mediterranean Pasta with Pine Nuts and FetaPosted on Jan 30, 2012 | 52 comments
Mediterranean Pasta with Pine Nuts and Feta
Inspired by the flavors of the Mediterranean, this simple, quick weeknight pasta is likely to be in frequent rotation once you give a try. It's hard to go wrong with garlic, onions, peppers, pine nuts, and feta.
Author: Katherine Martinelli (inspired by Cooking Light)
Recipe Type: Entree
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 pound fusilli or pasta of your choice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 1 red pepper, sliced and cut in thirds
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons julienne fresh mint
- 1 cup crumbled feta or Bulgarian cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted water until al dente. Drain, reserving ½ cup pasta water, and put aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, pepper, and garlic and cook until quite soft, stirring often.
- Add the pine nuts and cook until toasted and light brown.
- Add the pasta, lemon juice, balsamic, and a splash of reserved pasta water. Toss to coat.
- Add the mint and feta and season to taste with salt (go easy as the feta is salty) and freshly ground pepper. Toss and serve immediately.
Kosher Parve, Vegetarian