Ropa Vieja with Fried PlantainsPosted on Mar 12, 2012 | 57 comments
Ropa Vieja with Fried Plantains
Like any good stew, this comforting cuban dish takes a few hours to cook and is even better the next day. But it's worth every second.
Author: Katherine Martinelli
Recipe Type: Entree
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1½ pounds flank steak (in Israel I used cut #4, katef mercazi)
- 2 medium onions (1 quartered with skin on and 1 peeled and sliced)
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 8 cloves garlic (5 crushed and 3 minced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ quarts water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 (14-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 sweet or green plantains, peeled and sliced into coins
For the Ropa Vieja:
- Put the beef, quartered onion, carrots, 5 cloves crushed garlic, and bay leaf in a large stock pot and pour the water over.
- Cook, covered for 1½ to 2 hours, until meat is very tender.
- Transfer the beef to a plate and loosely tent with foil. Allow to rest until slightly cooled, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Using two forks, shred the beef. Set aside.
- While the beef is cooling, strain the braising liquid, pushing on the solids, and return to the pot.
- Boil until reduced to about 1 cup, about 30 minutes.
- In a large pan heat the vegetable oil and add the sliced onion and green and red peppers. Cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the shredded beef, crushed tomatoes, oregano, tomato paste, 3 cloves minced garlic, and ½ cup of the braising liquid.
- Simmer until the beef is heated through, adding more braising liquid if needed.
- Serve over rice with fried plantains.
For the Fried Plantains:
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the plantains so they are in one even layer. Cook in batches if necessary.
- Cook until plantains are lightly golden on one side, then flip. They should be slightly softened and evenly browned.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season immediately with salt. Serve.
Gluten free, Kosher meat