Pistachio, Cherry, and Dark Chocolate BarkPosted on Mar 5, 2012 | 96 comments
I love Secret Recipe Club time! Each month I am assigned a blog and I get to pick any recipe I like and post about it on the 5th of the month. It’s been a wonderful way to meet other bloggers and to discover inspiring recipes. This month I was lucky enough to have Sustainable Cooking for One. Stephanie, the author of the blog, works in nutritional research and is passionate about food and sustainability. Besides wonderful recipes, Stephanie also writes thought-provoking posts like Ethical Eating: Raw Milk and Goats, Urban Ag, and Evidence-Based Supplements. And she should know – she has adorable goats! As the title of her blog suggests she focuses on cooking for one and even has a cookbook called One Bowl with even more recipes plus nutritional information and more.
As usual, it was no easy feat picking one recipe to make. But I’m a sucker for fruit, nuts, and berries so this pistachio, cherry, and chocolate recipe immediately called to me. I’m not a huge chocolate person, but something happens when dark chocolate is combined with fruit and nuts that makes it like crack to me. In particular I think that pistachio and cherry is a beautiful combination and I just couldn’t wait to enjoy it combined with chocolate. I’ve called this a bark, although the truth is it’s somewhere between a bark and a chocolate bar. Whatever you want to call it, it’s delicious and just as addictive as I imagined.
I made a few changes to Stephanie’s original recipe. First, although I love dates I didn’t realize I was out until it was too late so I omitted them. At her suggestion I used butter instead of coconut oil, dark baking chocolate instead of unsweetened, and I messed around with some of the measurements. My husband and I seriously can’t stop eating this! It’s so good! And I imagine at least a bit healthier than your typical candy bar. For a good tip on how to temper chocolate and get it nice and shiny, visit Stephanie’s post.
- 12 ounces dark baking chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup roughly chopped dried cherries
- ¼ cup roughly chopped shelled pistachios
- Melt the chocolate and butter over a double boiler or in a small bowl in the microwave, stirring often.
- Mix together the dried cherries and pistachios and spread thinly on a piece of parchment paper in a rectangle.
- Pour the melted chocolate evenly over the rectangle, fold the edges of the paper over each side and press down to remove air and distribute the chocolate.
- Refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes. Roughly break apart and serve.
- Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
Linked up at Sweets for Saturday over at Sweet as Sugar Cookies