Asian Lettuce WrapsPosted on Jun 4, 2012 | 19 comments
This is a first for me: Two posts in one day! Ay-yay-yay. But hopefully you’ll have as much with both of them as I have! Although I usually have a tough time picking a recipe for the Secret Recipe Club, this month it was no contest. These Asian Lettuce Wraps called to me. Not that Veronica’s Cornucopia doesn’t have a million recipes that I want to try – I’ve bookmarked this Watermelon and Black Bean Salsa, Avocado Chocolate Pudding, and General Tso’s Chicken, to name a few. But I’ve had Asian Lettuce Wraps on the brain for a while and these looked just perfect. I was thrilled to be assigned Veronica’s Cornucopia this month – please stop by and check out her gorgeous blog if you haven’t already!
These lettuce wraps provide an excellent, low-carb dinner replete with ginger, garlic, and a number of other Asian-inspired flavors. For an even healthier meal, I substituted Napa cabbage for the usual iceberg lettuce. The flavors come together very nicely, and I highly recommend the addition of the sriracha to give it an added heat. The mouth-feel of the cold, crispy cabbage surrounding each bite of savory meat and vegetables makes for a great experience. Try them as a fun dinner or richly flavored appetizer!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
- 1 pound (500 grams) ground turkey breast
- 5 ounces (116 grams) mushrooms, roughly chopped (I used mixture of white button and cremini)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups (173 grams) finely shredded napa cabbage
- 1 cup (85 grams) thinly sliced green onions
- ¼ cup (50 mL) soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon sriracha (optional)
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 small head Napa cabbage (substitute iceberg lettuce)
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh shredded ginger
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for about 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add the turkey, mushrooms, and salt.
- Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often and breaking up the turkey with a wooden spoon until cooked through.
- Add the shredded cabbage and green onions. Cook until the cabbage is just wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, lemon zest and juice, and Sriracha. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro.
- To prepare the dipping sauce, combine all the ingredients and whisk to combine.
- To serve, carefully remove each individual leaf from the cabbage, place turkey mixture on the leaves and serve with sauce.
Get more information about the Secret Recipe Club and how to join HERE >>