Secret Recipe Club: Rava UttapamPosted on Oct 10, 2011 | 67 comments
Rava Uttapam (Savory Pancakes)
These savory pancakes come together quickly and are great for breakfast, but also make a great appetizer or side for dinner.
Author: Adapted from Ruchi's Simply Food
Recipe Type: Appetizer, Breakfast, Side
Yield: 4 servings
- ½ cup semolina flour
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped tomato
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Mix together the semolina flour and yogurt to form a batter. It should have the consistency of pancake batter; add a couple of tablespoons of water if necessary to make the batter easily spreadable. Mix in the salt and the oil. Allow to rest for 20 minutes on the counter.
- Heat a little bit of oil in a non-stick skillet. Pour a ladle of batter and spread a bit. Add the chopped onions, tomatoes and coriander.
- Let it cook for a couple of minutes on one side and then flip. Cook for another couple of minutes, till the batter is set (cook as you would a pancake, although it takes a few minutes longer since it is thicker and denser).
- Remove to a plate and repeat with the remaining batter. Sprinkle with cilantro garnish and serve.
Kosher dairy, vegetarian