This is my new favorite recipe. I would seriously eat it every day if I could. In fact, I would be eating it right now if I had remembered to pick up more chickpeas at the supermarket. The garlicky roasted chickpeas with feta and mint come together in under half an hour and besides being quick, vegetarian, and fairly healthy this is an amazingly delicious dish. So good that I’m skipping a Shout-Out Friday to share it with you.
The inspiration came from the incredible feta that I purchased at the Wine Festival from Tzeela dairy. I wanted to put it to good use but didn’t have a whole lot else in my fridge. I realized I had a can of chickpeas and set to work finding a recipe. As soon as I saw this one adapted from a Bon Appetit cookbook at Kalyn’s Kitchen I knew it was the one. (If you aren’t familiar with Kalyn’s Kitchen it’s an inspiring blog with tons of sensational recipes, photos, and tips, and well worth a visit.)
I had to halve her recipe since I only had one can of chickpeas handy, but I was sad that we didn’t have more. This makes two generous side servings, but feel free to double the recipe for a bigger serving. Trust me, it will go fast! As a serious garlic lover I upped the garlic dosage and didn’t find it to be overpowering at all. I also used plenty of fresh, chopped mint.
On another note, you may notice the recipe is formatted slightly different from previous posts! I’m trying something out. It’s called RecipeSEO and it’s supposed to help format your recipe to help with search engine placement and specifically to get picked up by the Google Recipe Search, which is unlikely for itty bitty bloggers like myself but worth a shot. There is a very convenient WordPress plugin but you can’t make changes to the formatting and I wasn’t happy with the way it looked. If you go to the site you can input the recipe and then make changes to the html, which is what I did. It took more work than normal, so we’ll test it out for a bit and see.
What do you think? Any recipe SEO tips? Any sites, programs, hints that you’ve found useful?
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground pepper
- ¾ cup crumbled Feta
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint
- Lemon wedges
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C.
- Mix together the olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Put chickpeas into baking dish and toss with olive oil mixture until the chickpeas are well coated with oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put chickpeas in the oven and roast for 15 to 20 minutes, until chickpeas are slightly browned and barely beginning to crisp.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Transfer to a serving dish and stir in the feta and mint. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed. Serve with lemon wedges.
Submitted to the Linky Parties over at A Little Nosh and Jane Deere