Matzo Ball Soup
Author: Katherine Martinelli
Recipe Type: Appetizer, Soup
Yield: 4 servings
- ½ cup matzo meal
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh dill (optional), plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons seltzer
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the matzo meal, eggs, vegetable oil, salt, dill, seltzer and baking powder. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to one hour.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- Remove the mixture from the fridge. Form into eight to 10 ping pong-sized balls, wetting your hands if they get sticky in between.
- Carefully drop the matzo balls into the boiling water.
- Reduce the heat to a strong simmer, and cook for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Carefully remove the matzo balls with a slotted spoon and add them to the hot chicken broth.
- Serve immediately and garnish with fresh dill.
Parve and vegetarian if vegetable broth is used
Recipe by Katherine Martinelli at http://www.katherinemartinelli.com/blog/recipe/2012/matzo-ball-soup/