Precipizi (Italian Hanukkah Treats)
Author: Katherine Martinelli
Yield: Yield: 20 to 24 balls
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1¾ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rum or other clear spirit
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Mix together the eggs, flour, sugar, olive oil, and rum and lightly knead until you get a smooth, soft dough.
- Shape into small balls about the size of olives.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan over high heat.
- Add the dough balls and fry until golden on all sides, working in batches if necessary. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- When the dough balls have all finished cooking, wipe the pan clean with a paper towel and add the honey.
- When the honey is hot, add the dough balls back into the pan and stir to coat.
- Pour onto a baking sheet and allow to cool.
- Here most instructions say to put them close together and cut them into rectangles, but I prefer to keep them as is. As they cool the honey will harden slightly.
- To serve, arrange however you like and top with powdered sugar, if you wish.
Recipe by www.KatherineMartinelli.com at http://www.katherinemartinelli.com/blog/2011/precipizi-and-a-holiday-blog-hop/